Potential Naegleria fowleri exposure linked to Waco water park

Share

A "brain-eating amoeba" infection is the suspected cause of death for a 29-year-old New Jersey man who died after visiting a Texas water park, according to his family.

Stabile died at the Atlantic City Medical Center in New Jersey on September 21, days after returning home from Texas, NJ.com reported.

Naegleria fowleri is known as the "brain-eating amoeba" and is usually found in warm fresh water.

Stabile was remembered as an avid outdoors lover who loved to surf and snowboard.

Fabrizio Stabile, 29, died September 21, according to his obituary.

CDC crews collected water samples, trying to find the source of the contamination.

You can not be infected with Naegleria fowleri by drinking contaminated water and the amoeba is not found in salt water.

Pete Carroll Surprisingly Defends Earl Thomas for Flipping Off the Seahawks Sideline
To say that the standoff between safety Earl Thomas and the Seahawks has been contentious is an understatement. And by "cash in", we mean "make a small percentage of their value from multi-billionaire team owners".

English Premier League match report Chelsea v Liverpool 29 September 2018
Arsenal legend, Ian Wright, has predicted the scoreline of the Premier League game between Chelsea and Liverpool on Saturday. Hazard scored a brilliant victor in Chelsea FC's 2-1 win over Liverpool FC in the League Cup third round on Wednesday night.

Trump accuses China of election meddling: "They don't want me to win"
The Trump administration official also said China raising tariffs was part of its efforts to influence the mid-term elections. The new tariffs covered products such as food seasonings, baseball gloves, network routers and industrial machinery parts.

Symptoms typically show from one to nine days after the amoeba is contracted and people usually die within about two weeks, according to the CDC. The fatality rate is over 97 percent, with only four people surviving the infection, according to statistics kept since 1962.

The water park's owner has said he will comply with further requests relating to the investigation. Once it reaches the brain it causes primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), which is often fatal.

The Centers for Disease Control announced Friday that it is testing the waters at BSR Cable Park Surf Resort, in Waco, Tx., amid fears Stabile contracted the illness there. On their site, the people from the CDC say that "four people in the USA out of 143 have survived infection from 1962 to 2017". He said the surf resort is in compliance with the CDC's "guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri".

The infection is very rare, as about 35 cases have been reported in the U.S.in the last decade, officials said.

The amoeba is found in warm freshwater such as lakes, rivers and hot springs. Swallowing water contaminated by the amoeba can not cause the infection.

The park remains closed pending the findings of the CDC. In his memory, his family is asking for donations to the Swim Above Water Amoeba Awareness Foundation which aims to bring awareness to the disease.

Share