Around five years ago, Mission Impossible III was considered somewhat of a flop for Tom Cruise, but revenge is best served cold, as in hard-cold cash that is, because now Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol has banked $134 million domestically, already smashing the last installment of the franchise.
Bringing in an estimated $31.3 million this weekend, Cruise’s latest vehicle landed at the top of the box office list, besting yet again Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows with a gross of $22.1 million.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo came in third, earning $16.3 million, more than $3 million from last weekend.
Could it be that people are willing to watch something grittier now that Christmas is over?
Top 10 Films
- Mission: Impossible: Ghost Protocol – $31.3 million
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows – $22.1 million
- Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked – $18.3 million
- War Horse – $16.9 million
- The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo – $16.3 million
- We Bought a Zoo - $14.3 million
- The Adventures of Tintin – $12 million
- New Year’s Eve – $6.7 million
- The Darkest Hour – $4.3 million
- The Descendants – $3.7 million